Canoe launch in Hamburg/Brighton area?

Moderators: Derek LeRoy, ribs1

Canoe launch in Hamburg/Brighton area?

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:18 pm

I live in Hamburg, and wanted to take my canoe down the Huron through my area. Does anyone know of a place to put in/take out from about Huron Meadows (or Brighton area) down to the Chain of Lakes (Lakeland)?
I know there is a canoe park in Huron Meadows, but don't know if you can "bring your own".
Greg
Minnow

How about..

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:19 pm

Greg, People have often put into the river where it crosses Old US 23 (near silver lake road). I haven't noticed anyone recently, you might want to scout it out and find out if 1.) there is still easy access, and 2.) is there space to park a car there and leave it (if not, you might need to have someone drop you off instead of leaving a car).

You could, of course, put in at Cobb's Marina if you want to start that far down, with the next access being at Portage Lake.

If you do US 23, let me know how it works....

good luck..

Bob
Bob
Site Admin

canoe launching

Postby guthrie » Mon May 03, 2004 11:52 am

We regularly put in at Huron Meadows. You can park your car there and carry your boat to the river. There is an official launch spot but the route is always chained shut and its quite far from the lot. I'd suggest heading past the playground directly to the river and launching from there.

Good spots upstream from there:
Proud Lake Rec Area
Downtown Milford at the dam
Kent Lake Dam in Island Lake Rec Area (~ 12 miles up from Huron Meadows)
Riverbend picnic area, Island Lake
Placeway? picnic area, Island Lake
Whitmore Lake Rd

Downstream:
M36 (bushwhacking req'd)
Portage Lake public boat ramp
Hudson Mills
Dexter metropark
Barton Dam
guthrie

Re: canoe launching

Postby Bob » Mon May 03, 2004 1:40 pm

guthrie wrote:We regularly put in at Huron Meadows.

Guthrie, thanks for the info on Huron Meadows, I wasn't aware they had a canoe launch there.. It doesn't mention this anywhere on their web site..

Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Canoeing the Huron

Postby Greg » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:18 am

thanks guys for the tips, both bob and guthrie. I hope to have the time to check out your suggestions. With the flooding that has been going on, I wonder if some of these put-in locations are now mini- lakes!

Greg
Greg
Minnow

Kyaking from the souce to erie

Postby idiotboy999 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:13 pm

I am planning on Kyaking from the source of the Huron to lake erie, I was just wondering if anyone would care to join, or had any idea how long this would take, any input or ideas are welcome.

Kirk
idiotboy999

Re: Kyaking from the souce to erie

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:53 pm

idiotboy999 wrote:I am planning on Kyaking from the source of the Huron to lake erie, I was just wondering if anyone would care to join, or had any idea how long this would take, any input or ideas are welcome.

Kirk

Kirk, you might want to post this as a separate message at http://pinckneymich.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

instead of having it as part of this thread...

Bob
Bob
Site Admin

Postby Steve » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:45 am

I've kyaked from Commerce Lake to Ann Arbor now. We have made several day trips. The water level below the Island Lake damn was painfully low when we passed by. Currently there is not much further north we can go, unless we start going down small canals.

Plan on seeing an array of nature.

For those that might care, down toward strawberry lake, there is a party store that matched up to the river. You can park your boat at the dock and get 'refreshements' and food.

I will post any more pertinent information as I get it.
Steve

Steve's Party store

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:18 pm

Actually, the party store steve is talking about is between Baseline Lake and the Portage Lake Damn....

A hundred feet before you get to the party store is a pizza parlor with dockside service.....

If you want to do a side trip from Strawberry lake to Zukey Lake, you can also get to Zukey Lake Tavern......

and, steve, thanks for the update....
Bob
Site Admin

Postby obekosomatic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:39 am

very nice indeed :)
only me
obekosomatic
Minnow

Postby smtara » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:43 am

gotta hit this area... why our dog would think she hit the jackpot pizza is her favorite as it is now shez sniffin every canoe an kayak we pass to check for "hungryz"
most likely paddling the canoe boss down the river say howdy if we pass were in a 1998 swift kipawa light blue....
smtara
Minnow

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:16 pm

smtara... your dog speaks lolcat, eh? :)
Bob
Site Admin

Postby smtara » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:30 am

shez a smart one lol
most likely paddling the canoe boss down the river say howdy if we pass were in a 1998 swift kipawa light blue....
smtara
Minnow

Return to Kayaking/Canoeing